Search Linux Wireless

Re: RTL8192e-pci NIC

On 04/09/2012 10:10 AM, Jan Simonson wrote:

In fact the module I used earier was included in rpm kmod-staging from the
fusion repositary and thus strictly speaking not a part of Fedora. For some
reason the r8192e-pci module was dropped from kmod-staging and I believed that
the modules in Fedora would function. Now I know better!

I managed to compile and install r8192e-pci into
/lib/modules/3.3.1-3.fc16.x86_64/kernel/drivers/staging/rtl8192e/rtl8192e/
(I'm running 3.3.1-3.fc16.x86_64 now) and also rtllib.ko,
rtllib_crypt_ccmp.ko, rtllib_crypt_tkip.ko and rtllib_crypt_wep.ko into
/lib/modules/3.3.1-3.fc16.x86_64/kernel/drivers/staging/rtl8192e/
However trying to insmod any of them only results in
insmod: error inserting 'xxx': -1 Unknown symbol in module

They probably depend on each other so I have tested with everyone first, but to
no avail. They must depend on some other module. I also tested with modprobe,
but that didn't function either as they are not listed in modules.dep.

Any pointer to how to make a correct entry in modules.dep or what they are
depending on would be much appreciated.

The first step would be to look at the output of dmesg to see what actual problem is reported. The kernel is not tolerant of just any module, and building modules outside the tree is quite complicated. It will probably take less time if you get the Fedora source, adjust the configuration, and rebuild the kernel. Otherwise, you will need to prepare the special makefile needed for building outside the kernel.

For modules.dep to be updated, you need to copy the appropriate modules into the /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ directory tree, and then run the command 'depmod -a'.

As I do not use Fedora, I was not aware of Fusion. Perhaps you could get them to reinstate this driver in their package. In addition, you might post a bug at Redhat in hopes that they will change their standard configuration. As a last resort, you could switch to a distro that includes this driver in their standard kernels.

Larry