Search Linux Wireless

Re: ath9k timeouts with the current Mainline

On 03/10/2012 06:13 AM, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
Oskar Stenman wrote:
I'm having a similar or the same problem, it's been nagging me for at
least 1.5years.

If I'm able to connect I get frequent dropouts from any wireless network
I'm connected to. It gets sluggish and after a little while disconnects,
and once it has disconnected it just keeps reconnecting and failing.
sometimes a reboot helps, but most of the time it wont help anymore than
a couple of seconds to a minute. It's also impossible to connect to my
wireless hotspot on my Xperia Mini Pro and it seems ad-hoc networks are
also impossible.

I'm running ubuntu 11.10 with latest patches applied as of today. Since
i've not seen anything being solved during this time i doubt anyone has
been trying to, or has been able to solve the problem recently.

I'm running exactly the same chip (according lspci) without any problem.
But I'm using slightly different environment:

1. 64 bit
2. kernel 3.1 (some time ago, I run 3.0, too, but cannot remember
    having any problems related ar9285).
3. no network manager - just plain wpa_supplicant.
4. wpa_supplicant 0.7.3

If you like to, you could just check, if the problem is network manager
related. Try to stop it and run wpa_supplicant manually as root like
this (ensure, that no other wpa_supplicant process is running at the
same time):

wpa_supplicant -t -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dnl80211
-i wlan0

-c is the config file. -i is the device name.

sample config file for WPA2 PSK would be:

network={
         ssid="your network name"
         # scan_ssid=1
         key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
         psk="your psk"
         proto=WPA2
}

If you see a line like this:
WPA: Key negotiation completed with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx [PTK=CCMP GTK=CCMP]
you can go to another terminal and start dhclient or dhcpcd like this:

dhcpcd wlan0 (or whatever your device name is)

If this is all running fine, you most probably face a network manager
problem.

Hope that helps,
regards,
Andreas

The timeouts I have not see just yet; only the RX DMA thing which I am monitoring and trying to recreate, so I can _possibly_ bisect. as for the timeout(s) I have not see this with the current, there is a bug report on this(2.6.37 or so) but I think the bug was closed due to no participation or something.

also make sure you have power save off(iwconfig wlan* power off) because from what I remember powersave on is what triggers the timeout(s)

Justin P. Mattock