Search Linux Wireless

Re: ath9k timeouts with the current Mainline

Oskar Stenman wrote:
> I'm having a similar or the same problem, it's been nagging me for at
> least 1.5years.
>
> If I'm able to connect I get frequent dropouts from any wireless network
> I'm connected to. It gets sluggish and after a little while disconnects,
> and once it has disconnected it just keeps reconnecting and failing.
> sometimes a reboot helps, but most of the time it wont help anymore than
> a couple of seconds to a minute. It's also impossible to connect to my
> wireless hotspot on my Xperia Mini Pro and it seems ad-hoc networks are
> also impossible.
>
> I'm running ubuntu 11.10 with latest patches applied as of today. Since
> i've not seen anything being solved during this time i doubt anyone has
> been trying to, or has been able to solve the problem recently.

I'm running exactly the same chip (according lspci) without any problem.
But I'm using slightly different environment:

1. 64 bit
2. kernel 3.1 (some time ago, I run 3.0, too, but cannot remember
   having any problems related ar9285).
3. no network manager - just plain wpa_supplicant.
4. wpa_supplicant 0.7.3

If you like to, you could just check, if the problem is network manager
related. Try to stop it and run wpa_supplicant manually as root like
this (ensure, that no other wpa_supplicant process is running at the
same time):

wpa_supplicant -t -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dnl80211
-i wlan0

-c is the config file. -i is the device name.

sample config file for WPA2 PSK would be:

network={
        ssid="your network name"
        # scan_ssid=1
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        psk="your psk"
        proto=WPA2
}

If you see a line like this:
WPA: Key negotiation completed with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx [PTK=CCMP GTK=CCMP]
you can go to another terminal and start dhclient or dhcpcd like this:

dhcpcd wlan0 (or whatever your device name is)

If this is all running fine, you most probably face a network manager
problem.

Hope that helps,
regards,
Andreas