Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFT/FYI] mac80211: revert on-channel work optimisations

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:38:54AM -0800, Ben Greear wrote:

> >>I haven't looked yet...still stuck back on 3.0 kernel for the
> >>most part.
> >>
> >>I should be moving to 3.3 sometime soon, and will see how it works.
> >>
> >>I was thinking that I would ignore the work logic for now and probably
> >>just focus on re-applying the on-channel scan optimization first.
> >>
> >>Are you done, or mostly done with the re-architecture you were working on?
> >
> >Yes, I'm done.
> >
> >>I know you didn't like the scan optimization from before...do you have any
> >>ideas on how it might be done more to your liking?
> >
> >I, umm, don't even remember what that was about :)
>
> The basic idea is that if the user requests that we only
> scan a single channel, and that channel is the operating channel,
> we should be able to scan without interrupting any other
> packet transmission/reception, and without kicking the NIC to make it go off/on
> channel, etc.
>
> Basically I had to complicate the scan state machine
> in order to minimize going off-channel (if indeed we are only
> scanning one current channel).
I think no change in scan state machine in needed at all. It could be
simply marked as another type of scan i.e. SCAN_CURRENT_CHAN.
Configure filters at start, send probe request if active,
add additional flag check in rx_handlers, reconfigure filters
at end.

Stanislaw