Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFT/FYI] mac80211: revert on-channel work optimisations

On 02/17/2012 10:19 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 08:13 -0800, Ben Greear wrote:

Given the auth/assoc redesign that went in now, are you still carrying
this? Does the redesign address your problem?

I haven't looked yet...still stuck back on 3.0 kernel for the
most part.

I should be moving to 3.3 sometime soon, and will see how it works.

I was thinking that I would ignore the work logic for now and probably
just focus on re-applying the on-channel scan optimization first.

Are you done, or mostly done with the re-architecture you were working on?

Yes, I'm done.

I know you didn't like the scan optimization from before...do you have any
ideas on how it might be done more to your liking?

I, umm, don't even remember what that was about :)

The basic idea is that if the user requests that we only
scan a single channel, and that channel is the operating channel,
we should be able to scan without interrupting any other
packet transmission/reception, and without kicking the NIC to make it go off/on
channel, etc.

Basically I had to complicate the scan state machine
in order to minimize going off-channel (if indeed we are only
scanning one current channel).

I'd want to re-add the logic that let us receive pkts while
scanning (so long as we are scanning on the oper-channel)
as well.

Might be a while before I can get back to this, but I'll
let you know when I get started if no one beats me to it.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>