Search Linux Wireless

Re: Binary for carl9170

On 07/15/2011 09:09 AM, Christian Lamparter wrote:
On Friday 15 July 2011 14:31:07 Roman Shishkin wrote:
Source code avaliable of course, but I need just the binary of 1.9.4.
Probably lot of casual linux users needs this binary too :)
Oh no, the firmware is supposed to be shipped by the distribution and
not "installed by hand". After all, they provide compiled and fully tested
packages for kernel+driver+userland and in doing so verify that no
malicious code compromises the system's security.

Christian, I think the latest firmware needs to be on the site. I understand that you want to keep the entry barrier high, but it's hurting wrong people.

I made some changes to the ath module and wanted to make a quick check that carl9170 is OK. First I found that the 1.9.2 firmware won't work with wireless-testing. Then I found that the binary is not there. Then I downloaded the sources and ran "make -C toolchain". After a long download, I got

configure: error: Building GCC requires GMP 4.2+, MPFR 2.3.1+ and MPC 0.8.0+.
Try the --with-gmp, --with-mpfr and/or --with-mpc options to specify

No big deal, I'll need to install some libraries and restart make. But that's more time to spend on something I thought would take minutes. And I'll have to keep the toolchain somewhere if I want to compile future version of the firmware.

At this point I start having doubts whether it's easier just to look at my changes more carefully and send them.

I was complaining recently that AR5210 hard to get to work (it only works on old motherboards), but I think I can get it to work faster than AR9170.

Not providing the binary hurts potential tester and contributors.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin