Search Linux Wireless

Re: Binary for carl9170

On Friday 15 July 2011 19:02:55 Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On 07/15/2011 09:09 AM, Christian Lamparter wrote:
> > On Friday 15 July 2011 14:31:07 Roman Shishkin wrote:
> >> Source code avaliable of course, but I need just the binary of 1.9.4.
> >> Probably lot of casual linux users needs this binary too :)
> > Oh no, the firmware is supposed to be shipped by the distribution and
> > not "installed by hand". After all, they provide compiled and fully tested
> > packages for kernel+driver+userland and in doing so verify that no
> > malicious code compromises the system's security.
>
> Christian, I think the latest firmware needs to be on the site.  I
> understand that you want to keep the entry barrier high, but it's
> hurting wrong people.
> [...]
> But that's more time to spend on something I thought would take minutes.
> And I'll have to keep the toolchain somewhere if I want to compile
> future version of the firmware.
>
> I was complaining recently that AR5210 hard to get to work (it only
> works on old motherboards), but I think I can get it to work faster than
> AR9170.
>
> Not providing the binary hurts potential tester and contributors.
??? [high entry barrier? no, that theory is something you just made up]
Anyway, pretty much everyone can compile, test and upload their own
favorite firmware on the wiki site. In fact, this is what the site is for, right?
So, since you already have a working version, why simply put it on the
wiki? Or do you really prefer to argue with some uncooperative fool
instead?