Search Linux Wireless

Re: Plan for ath6kl cleanup

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 06:36:00AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 04:13:24PM +0300, Kalle Valo wrote:
> > We have been thinking about how to get ath6kl out from staging and get
> > it to a first class citizen under drivers/net/wireless. There's quite a
> > lot of work to do get ath6kl cleaned up and the prospect of doing all
> > that through the staging-next tree wasn't that exciting. We would be
> > sending hundreds of patches and it would take a long time to cleanup the
> > driver. And the disconnection from the wireless core development also
> > sounded very daunting (cfg80211 API changes etc.).
>
> This sounds like, "We don't like the kernel development model, it
> requires us to break everything up into small patches and show our work
> to everyone."

It's not the kernel development mode, it's something that you try to
impose on staging users.  Creating a more less new driver from a pig
pile of junk doesn't make sense minimized patches with micro-review.

It's a lot whacking and pretty big changes for things like switching to
mac80211.  The kernel development model works nicely for maintaining
more or less working software, but not for creating something new.