Search Linux Wireless

Re: Plan for ath6kl cleanup

Hi Kalle,

> We have been thinking about how to get ath6kl out from staging and get
> it to a first class citizen under drivers/net/wireless. There's quite a
> lot of work to do get ath6kl cleaned up and the prospect of doing all
> that through the staging-next tree wasn't that exciting. We would be
> sending hundreds of patches and it would take a long time to cleanup the
> driver. And the disconnection from the wireless core development also
> sounded very daunting (cfg80211 API changes etc.).

my main question is why do you still bother with this driver and not
re-write it as a mac80211 driver from scratch. It seems to be more
softmac than fullmac anyway. Or am I mistaken here?

The source code of the current staging driver is 5 MB in size. That is
by far the largest staging driver. Even brcm80211 is smaller.

Regards

Marcel