Search Linux Wireless

Re: [wireless] wireless: Keep phy name consistent across module reloads.

On 09/24/2010 02:18 PM, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 14:10 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:

We cannot do this because otherwise operations you attempt to do one one
PHY will race with re-creating of the same phy index. For the same
reason, interface indexes aren't reused for netdevs.

If this bothers you so much, you can easily write a udev rule that
renames all your phys to "myphy" or whatever.

Sorry about that.

Would a similar patch be acceptable that just set the name to the first
available phyX, but left the index to increment monotomically as it does
now be OK?

Actually, right now it doesn't even allow you to use a "phy%d" name,
which is because I don't want (sysfs, debugfs) errors coming from doing
"iw phy0 set name phy1" and then plugging in a new device ... In doing
that, I manage to avoid having to allocate two different numbers...

I tried rename few months ago, to rename back to phy0, and it failed
for no obvious reason..so I just assumed rename didn't work at all.
Would you like a patch to print something in kernel logs when someone
tries to rename to phy%d?

I suppose it'd be possible to treat this more like interfaces. Want to
also make it per net namespace? ;-)

Probably best for all involved if I don't mess with namespaces right now,
but I'll be happy to work on (or test) a patch to find the first un-used phyX name,
if that's what you mean.

Thanks,
Ben

--