Search Linux Wireless

Re: [wireless] wireless: Keep phy name consistent across module reloads.

On 09/24/2010 02:02 PM, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 16:57 -0700, greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
From: Ben Greear<greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

It adds needless pain to user-space scripts to change the name
of the phy on each module reload.  Instead, find the first

Crap, I clearly missed this patch, John, please revert this.

We cannot do this because otherwise operations you attempt to do one one
PHY will race with re-creating of the same phy index. For the same
reason, interface indexes aren't reused for netdevs.

If this bothers you so much, you can easily write a udev rule that
renames all your phys to "myphy" or whatever.

Sorry about that.

Would a similar patch be acceptable that just set the name to the first
available phyX, but left the index to increment monotomically as it does
now be OK?

I'd really like to not have to deal with udev if possible!

Thanks,
Ben

johannes

--