Search Linux Wireless

Re: [wireless] wireless: Keep phy name consistent across module reloads.

On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 14:10 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:

> > We cannot do this because otherwise operations you attempt to do one one
> > PHY will race with re-creating of the same phy index. For the same
> > reason, interface indexes aren't reused for netdevs.
> >
> > If this bothers you so much, you can easily write a udev rule that
> > renames all your phys to "myphy" or whatever.
>
> Sorry about that.
>
> Would a similar patch be acceptable that just set the name to the first
> available phyX, but left the index to increment monotomically as it does
> now be OK?

Actually, right now it doesn't even allow you to use a "phy%d" name,
which is because I don't want (sysfs, debugfs) errors coming from doing
"iw phy0 set name phy1" and then plugging in a new device ... In doing
that, I manage to avoid having to allocate two different numbers...

I suppose it'd be possible to treat this more like interfaces. Want to
also make it per net namespace? ;-)

> I'd really like to not have to deal with udev if possible!

It's really not very hard, you just need a rule that reacts to adding a
new phy, and calls "iw phy#7 set name myphy" :-)

johannes