Search Linux Wireless

Re: RTL8187B wireless driver issue

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Vignette consultant
<vignette75@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Larry,
>
>  I got the same error even after adding wlan0 in
> /etc/network/interfaces file. I set the essid using "sudo iwconfig
> wlan0 essid linksys" command and restarted network. I tried other
> essids, but it gives same error.
>
>  Attached files contain log files. Please advise about solution.
>
>  How do I disable usb monitoring log, so I can see wlan0 interface log
> from dmesg?
>
>  Thanks
>  Sam
>
> On 9/14/09, Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Vignette consultant wrote:
>>>  Hi
>>>
>>>  Attached files contain several logs of various commands. The log-1
>>> file is before running command and log-2 file is after running
>>> specific command.
>>>
>>>  Here are commands that I give as soon as I log in. It's server edition.
>>>
>>>  $ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
>>>  $ sudo iwconfig wlan0 ESSID linksys
>>>  $ sudo dhclient wlan0 - results in no IP addr leased
>>
>> Your wireless has not associated and has no communication, which is
>> why it cannot get an IP using DHCP.
>>
>> A quick check with Google indicates that Ubuntu uses
>> /etc/network/interfaces to control the devices. Once that is correct,
>> you should be able to 'sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart' to start
>> the network. If the server is properly configured, the network should
>> start on boot.
>>
>> BTW, the dmesg buffer is circular. All that usb monitoring output has
>> completely filled the buffer, and it contains no useful information.

scanning works, so there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the
device or the driver itself. However, even for static configuration,
sometimes wpa_supplicant can still be involved and interfere, so you
probably want to make sure you put all the relevant config in
wpa_supplicant.conf , as well as manually; or make sure no other
network tools are running. (udev can launch wpa_supplicant/dhcp on
ifconfig up automatically - the 'not ready' messages are from udev
hooks). Lastly, I think the Ubuntu/Debian family packages
compat-wireless as 'kernel-modules-backport' or something; try that or
even compat-wireless. ( a while back there was a bug with
associattion).