Search Linux Wireless

Re: rt2x00: rt73usb doesn't receive PS Poll frames in the AP mode

On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 00:09 +0400, Igor Perminov wrote:

> How will a driver behave in case a device has no a separate hardware
> filter for PS Poll frames? I.e. what value should the driver return from
> configure_filter in total_flags?
>
> In case there is one common filter for all control frames, it's an easy
> thing. If FIF_CONTROL or FIF_PSPOLL are passed to driver's
> configure_filter in total_flags, both of them should be set there and
> the filter should be configured to pass through all control frames.
>
> And suppose a device has two filters: one for ACK frames and one for all
> other control frames.
> Suppose FIF_CONTROL is passed in total_flags only. In that case the
> driver sets FIF_PSPOLL there and configures both filters to pass through
> frames. Right?
> And what if FIF_PSPOLL is passed in total_flags only? In that case the
> ACK filter should be configured to filter out ACK frames (otherwise it
> would have performance overhead at least). And the second filter is
> configured to pass through frames only (i.e. all control frames except
> for ACK). So, the driver will receive not only PS Poll control frames,
> but some others.
> The question here is: should the driver set FIF_CONTROL in total_flags
> or not in that case?

Huh this is getting complicated.

I think that driver behave as follows:

 * PSPOLL:             configure control, no-ack, set PSPOLL
 * CONTROL:            configure control, ack, set CONTROL
 * PSPOLL | CONTROL:   configure control, ack, set PSPOLL | CONTROL

Although I guess it could also set PSPOLL to indicate that is being
passed. OTOH, I don't think CONTROL by itself makes any sense to pass
in, so the second case won't really happen anyway.

johannes