Search Linux Wireless

Re: orinoco_cs and WPA-EAP?

Howard Chu wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>> Howard Chu wrote:
>>> Sigh, nothing's ever easy. After abandoning the CTX714 I mentioned in an
>>> earlier email, I find that the Thinkpad T42 I got from eBay came with some
>>> kind of Orinoco 802.11B mini-PCI card installed. Ubuntu Jaunty's 2.6.28 kernel
>>> loads up the orinoco_cs driver for this card. It appears that this driver only
>>> supports WPA-PSK, and I use WPA-EAP on my home wlan. Has anyone done any work
>>> on supporting WPA-EAP for this card?
>>
>> Note that the card only supports TKIP, so it won't work if the AP
>> doesn't offer it.
>
> Thanks, that may have been the issue I was facing at first. My AP was
> configured for CCMP. I've now set it to TKIP and seem to be getting further.
> But now when I start wpa_supplicant I see a stream of "Information frame lost"
> messages in dmesg that pretty much never end (interspersed once in a while
> with ratelimit messages). I wonder if this laptop's mini-PCI slot is hosed or
> something.

That message is printed in response to a firmware interrupt. It
indicates "an unsolicited Frame Structure cannot be generated... because
there is not enough Frame Structure buffer space available".

I suspect that the beacons/probe responses/scan results are either too
large/too frequent for the card to handle, or the firmware can't
decipher them.

Before enabling wpa_supplicant, can you try scan for your AP (as root):

iwlist ethX scan essid YYYYY

I'm interested in what it returns, and whether dmesg reports 'Ext scan
results too large' or something similar.

Dave.