Search Linux Wireless

CTX714 to a good home

Hi,
I recently bought a Creatix CTX714 in the hopes of using it in a Thinkpad T23. After much experimentation I've been unable to get it working, and am giving up. I bought it for $8 on eBay, but the shipping (from Hong Kong to Los Angeles) was over $20 so it's not worthwhile for me to return it for a refund. I'd like to send it to any interested developer to wrestle with and see if they can get it working. lspci identifies it as 1260:3390, and the p54pci driver talks to it, but I was never able to see any APs with it.

More background: the T23 had a 56K modem in the mini-PCI slot. I wanted to find a combo wifi/modem card with 802.11g and V.90, and the CTX714 appeared to be the only candidate, so when I saw one on eBay, I jumped on it.

The card came with a mini-CDROM with a Windows driver. The driver included a fullmac firmware, 1.0.1.0. The Creatix docs say that this card uses the same chipset/driver as their CTX405 card. Their docs also said that the CTX405 would only work using ndiswrapper on Linux. (There are barely any CTX714 docs.)

I've already gone thru all the motions of trying the 1.0.1.0 and 1.0.4.3 firmware with the original prism54 driver, as well as just trying the default softmac firmware for the p54pci driver, and ndiswrapper with the Windows driver. (On Ubuntu Jaunty, 2.6.28.x kernel.) I've had absolutely no luck. The drivers see the device, register an interface, and they show the correct MAC address for the card, but I never see any other stations. In fact the card didn't work under Windows either, so possibly there's a problem with the card itself, but I don't know how to diagnose this any further. And possibly it just won't work in any Thinkpad. The eBay ad said it would only work in two models of Medion laptop. I could give it a try in my Asus laptop, but I don't want to spend any more time on it; I've bought a Thinkpad T42 (which comes with a wifi card) to replace the T23 and will be selling the T23. If you want this CTX714 and are willing to try to make it work, email me. I'll send it to the first responder.

--
  -- Howard Chu