Search Linux Wireless

Re: orinoco_cs and WPA-EAP?

Dave wrote:
Howard Chu wrote:
Sigh, nothing's ever easy. After abandoning the CTX714 I mentioned in an
earlier email, I find that the Thinkpad T42 I got from eBay came with some
kind of Orinoco 802.11B mini-PCI card installed. Ubuntu Jaunty's 2.6.28 kernel
loads up the orinoco_cs driver for this card. It appears that this driver only
supports WPA-PSK, and I use WPA-EAP on my home wlan. Has anyone done any work
on supporting WPA-EAP for this card?

Michael Stokes, who is primarily responsible for debugging my initial
WPA efforts, reported getting WPA-EAP working with a Toshiba Wireless
WLAN v01.01 shortly after we got WPA-PSK working. However I haven't had
  independent confirmation of this.

The driver has evolved since then, so it's possible that we've broken
something.

Note that the card only supports TKIP, so it won't work if the AP
doesn't offer it. At that time there seemed to be an issue with
wpa_supplicant attempting to use CCMP when offered by the AP, despite it
also offering TKIP - the workaround being to explicitly specify TKIP in
wpa_supplicant.conf.

Thanks, that may have been the issue I was facing at first. My AP was configured for CCMP. I've now set it to TKIP and seem to be getting further. But now when I start wpa_supplicant I see a stream of "Information frame lost" messages in dmesg that pretty much never end (interspersed once in a while with ratelimit messages). I wonder if this laptop's mini-PCI slot is hosed or something. Also, one of the 2 antenna cable's connector came off, and I've tried to crimp the cable back into the connector but it may not be making full contact. The joys of buying used hardware...

Regards,

Dave.

PS. My contact with Michael has only been in private mail, so I've bcc'd
him (rather than cc'ing in case he want to keep his email off public
lists) in the hope that he can supply you with the necessary hints to
get it working.

--
  -- Howard Chu