Search Linux Wireless

Re: wireless powersaving (in NM?)

"Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Johannes Berg
> <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 11:31 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, sounds OK.  Just to be clear, problems with this code will appear
>>> on a *per-AP* basis, not a per-card basis, right?  ie there are some
>>> stupid APs that won't work with it, but it won't be the case that a
>>> chipset will be broken for all APs, right?
>>
>> Right. If a particular chipset doesn't properly supported PS then we
>> shouldn't actually support it at all -- but we cannot know if the AP is
>> broken.
>
> How about leaving it to the supplicant to guess if the AP is borked or not.

Very difficult and not worth the trouble IMHO.

> Kalle, what would happen with these broken APs?

Usually there's packet loss and for the user it shows as data
connections not working reliably.

> If we can determine this through some heuristics then we can label
> such BSSes as borked in the supplicant and then the user won't have to
> worry about this. This would only be dealt with each BSS once at most
> as we would have saved the AP's power save borkedness after our first
> determination of this.
>
> If one wants to do manual debugging you can simple add the flag
> through the supplicant for the bss. Just don't see the need to confuse
> a user with an option if we can get away with figuring it out if
> possible.

If the ui option to disable power is disliked, just hide it somewhere.
For example, a gconf flag which can be enabled with a command line
tool.

--
Kalle Valo