Search Linux Wireless

Re: [Orinoco-devel] Agere PCMCIA sometimes takes very long time to associate with 9.48 FW

John W. Linville wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 11:15:47AM +0300, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
>
>> - we should not be doing it in ->open. It is technically legal to set
>> wireless parameters before "icfonfig up" and we lose all of them. I will
>> try next week with similar patch in orinoco_stop().
>
> That seems wrong...
>
>> - I am still not even sure we should do it at all. What is sematic of
>> ifconfig up/down w.r.t. wireless parameters? I.e. is "ifconfig down"
>> expected to clean all device state and start from scratch?
>
> No.  Unfortunately, it is mostly a matter of opinion as to what
> wireless extensions expects.

Agreed with all the above. I'll discard the driver patch.

There are two other things I can think of:

1. make sure wpa_supplicant is shut down before ifconfig ethX down, and
restart it on resume.

>From the data you've provided it looks like your distribution brings the
device down, but may leave wpa_supplicant running. I've noticed that
every time wpa_supplicant shuts down it removes most configuration
settings. Or has that changed?

2. Does the driver need to send a dissociation event (or something) to
userspace on ifconfig down?

Dave.