Search Linux Wireless

Re: New Regulatory Domain Api.

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Zhu Yi <yi.zhu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 19:42 -0600, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> What are you talking about? I wrote a patch for you. I just do not
>> agree with the approach anymore, you are trying to resolve an issue by
>> not fixing the real source to the problem.
>
> Your patch is incorrect. It solves one problem but brings more trouble.
> For me, the per-band regulatory hint is the correct approach. What is
> the real source to the problem you are talking about?

As I mentioned in my previous e-mail, the real problem is what you are
asking for changes the entire regulatory design from: "disable
everything and enable only this" to "enable everything except for
elements I don't define in the band I tell you to". There are many
design flaws with this; an obvious problem to this is what is a band?
In my patch I took the liberty to define that a frequency is part of a
band if a rule was present within 2 GHz of itself. This works but it
is trying to make a definition out of something that doesn't exist --
its trying to solve the wrong problem. Since regulatory database is in
KHz it is designed to allow us to grow regardless of band notions or
associations. In the regulatory database we allow for 2 GHz, 5 GHz,
etc KH  definitions for any country and this was designed to account
for misinformation on drivers to help the user be more compliant. By
changing the design to what you are suggesting you'd have to add a
dummy rule for every frequency "band" if you really want to disable
all other bands.

The real problem here is you are not providing 5 GHz regulatory rules
on a 2 GHz capable built-in card because you currently handle
regulatory definitions by intersecting with hardware capabilities
*and* the issue is what happens when a user plugs in a 5 GHz capable
card. For >= iwlagn you have only a few SKUs so if you want you can
put these definitions in the driver. As Tomas points out for iwl3945
and iwl4965 your SKUs are more complicated. Regulatory *is*
complicated, and that is the current outsourcing of db.txt to
userspace tries to accomplish. So the solution isn't to try to "fix"
the regulatory infrastructure to handle your particular issue when a
single Intel 2 GHz band card is present and you connect a dual band
card by changing its overall design, because we already provide a
mechanism to deal with overriding regulatory rules to help the user be
more compliant.

The proper solution is to either add 5 GHz regulatory rules to your
regulatory_hint() and/or rely on crda to enable the 5 GHz channels
required for the country the user is in. It is true that you need
manual intervention and the way I am trying to resolve that is not by
changing the design of the current regulatory infrastructure, instead
I want to add country selection support to say wpa_supplicant or
Network Manager. That, IMO, is how to address the problem correctly. I
also suggested a temporary solution which a distribution can use which
requires absolutely no manual user intervention, that of determining
the country through whatever means the distribution deems more fit and
calling iw reg set on $COUNTRY.

  Luis