Search Linux Wireless

Re: New Regulatory Domain Api.

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 10:39 -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> We decided on our discussions to respect the built-in card first. For
> more cards we can take the intersection if we want to keep being more
> restrictive. Its what makes sense if you think about it.

I'm not really too sure the intersection makes most sense, we mostly
used the first hint because it's likely to be from the built-in card,
ergo announcing a region for which the whole product was certified. If
you add a card, we basically don't trust it currently.

> My suggestion is to add a default minimal 5 GHz regulatory domain
> definition to your driver on single band cards to deal with this. When
> a dual band card is present then all of the full card's capabilities
> will be used.

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a default minimal 5 GHz
regulatory domain. This might work with systems built purely out of
Intel cards, but to be honest, I wouldn't want to see this because it
would mean that if you add a dual-band prism54 USB then it'll start
sending on those 5 GHz channels regardless of where you are and what
you're allowed to do.

johannes