Search Linux Wireless

Re: debugging TXQs being empty

On Sun, 2019-12-08 at 09:26 -0800, Ben Greear wrote:

> > Yeah, that was an oversight for HE, it should work for HT/VHT. I have a
> > patch in the works to report the TX rate properly in iw.
>
> I'm connecting to an /AC AP, so it should only be using VHT rates.  I'm on 5.2-ish
> kernel, so maybe it is already fixed in more recent ones?

I think I just saw that VHT has a similar issue. I thought it didn't,
but maybe also in VHT we don't report properly to mac80211?

Anyway, the patch I had fixes it, except the Mbps calculation was
garbage ... We'll send it out soon. It's purely cosmetic anyway, in a
sense.

> > > For reference, we have previously seen about 1.1Gbps upload between QCA9984 station and 4x4 /AC APs
> > > (and about 1.3Gbps download goodput), so in general, wifi upload can run faster.
> >
> > Yes, for sure it can. Would be interesting to find out what the limiting
> > factor is for you.
> >
> > Then again, I doubt we've released updated firmware recently - what
> > version are you using?
>
> It is 48-something, whatever comes with Fedora-30.  We'd be happy to test more
> recent firmware...maybe you could make them available somewhere?

I just tried with this one (48.4fa0041f.0) and it seems OK-ish, at least
for UDP. TCP is much lower than I'd expect though, but both TX and RX,
which is strange.

> And if you can provide release notes for the firmware, you get +1 damage vs QCA :P

Heh :)

johannes