Search Linux Wireless

Re: debugging TXQs being empty

On 12/6/19 3:49 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Fri, 2019-12-06 at 10:12 +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Fri, 2019-12-06 at 09:41 +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
Maybe somehow TSO is interacting badly with the TXQs and the tracking
here, since TSO makes the traffic *very* bursty? A 64k packet in the
driver will typically expand to 9 or 10 A-MSDUs I think?

No, that all seems well. Without TSO (with the trivial mac80211 patch to
let me turn it off with ethtool) I get about 890Mbps, so about 5% less.
That's not actually *that* bad, I guess due to software A-MSDU in
mac80211, but it's not really the right direction :)

Changing wmem_max/tcp_mem to outrageous values also didn't really make
any difference.

I guess it's time to see if I can poke into the TCP stack to figure out
what's going on...

Sadly no functioning kprobes on the system ... bpftrace -l lists them,
but can't actually use them.

If I also change net.ipv4.tcp_limit_output_bytes to an outrageous value
(10x) I can recover a bit more than half of the performance loss with
TSO disabled, but it makes no real difference with TSO enabled.

Either way, what bothers me somewhat is that the backlog fluctuates so
much. Sometimes I see a backlock of 2MB or more, while it *still*
manages to go completely empty.

Shouldn't I expect the steady state to have a somewhat even backlog? Why
does this vary so much?

johannes

I did some tests today:

kernel is 5.2.21+, with the fix for ax200 upload corruption bug.
AP is QCA 9984 based PC (i5 processor) running ath10k-ct firmware/driver, configured for 2x2 160Mhz
STA is PC (i5 processor) with AX200
OTA, about 5 feet apart
AP reports STA is sending at MCS-9 160Mhz (AX200 STA does not report tx rate it seems)
Our LANforge tool is traffic generator, running directly on AP and STA machine.

Download UDP, I see about 697Mbps goodput
Upload UDP, I see about 120Mbps goodput

TCP download, about 660Mbps
TCP upload, about 99Mbps

Our hacked version of pktgen, bps includes down to Ethernet frame:
Download: 740Mbps
Upload: 129Mbps

I changed AP to 80Mhz mode, and re-ran the UDP tests:

Upload 137Mbps
Download 689Mbps

Though not confirmed today, one of us reports about 1.7Gbps download on AX200 against an enterprise /AX AP,
and only abuot 600Mbps upload in that same system.  That is in isolation chamber and such.

So, for whatever reason(s), we see consistent poor upload performance on AX200.

For reference, we have previously seen about 1.1Gbps upload between QCA9984 station and 4x4 /AC APs
(and about 1.3Gbps download goodput), so in general, wifi upload can run faster.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>