Search Linux Wireless

Re: debugging TXQs being empty

On 12/07/2019 12:09 PM, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Fri, 2019-12-06 at 15:44 -0800, Ben Greear wrote:
I did some tests today:

kernel is 5.2.21+, with the fix for ax200 upload corruption bug.
AP is QCA 9984 based PC (i5 processor) running ath10k-ct firmware/driver, configured for 2x2 160Mhz
STA is PC (i5 processor) with AX200
OTA, about 5 feet apart
AP reports STA is sending at MCS-9 160Mhz (AX200 STA does not report tx rate it seems)

Yeah, that was an oversight for HE, it should work for HT/VHT. I have a
patch in the works to report the TX rate properly in iw.

I'm connecting to an /AC AP, so it should only be using VHT rates.  I'm on 5.2-ish
kernel, so maybe it is already fixed in more recent ones?

Our LANforge tool is traffic generator, running directly on AP and STA machine.

Download UDP, I see about 697Mbps goodput
Upload UDP, I see about 120Mbps goodput

TCP download, about 660Mbps
TCP upload, about 99Mbps

Our hacked version of pktgen, bps includes down to Ethernet frame:
Download: 740Mbps
Upload: 129Mbps

Uh, wow, that's not good. I guess after I'm done with this bug, I should
look at upstream ...

I changed AP to 80Mhz mode, and re-ran the UDP tests:

Upload 137Mbps
Download 689Mbps

Though not confirmed today, one of us reports about 1.7Gbps download on AX200 against an enterprise /AX AP,
and only abuot 600Mbps upload in that same system.  That is in isolation chamber and such.

So, for whatever reason(s), we see consistent poor upload performance on AX200.

For reference, we have previously seen about 1.1Gbps upload between QCA9984 station and 4x4 /AC APs
(and about 1.3Gbps download goodput), so in general, wifi upload can run faster.

Yes, for sure it can. Would be interesting to find out what the limiting
factor is for you.

Then again, I doubt we've released updated firmware recently - what
version are you using?

It is 48-something, whatever comes with Fedora-30.  We'd be happy to test more
recent firmware...maybe you could make them available somewhere?

And if you can provide release notes for the firmware, you get +1 damage vs QCA :P

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>