Search Linux Wireless

Re: 802.11 pccard, Agere 0x0156,0x0003?

<bernhard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > This appears to be a Wavelan 2 / Orinoco card. Maybe try adding your
> > > device IDs to the Orinoco driver.
> >
> > According to
> > <http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Wifi/drivers-for-Puppy-1/lucent-agere_README>,
> > this is a Hermes II based card, which is not supported by the orinoco
> > driver.

So far I had gathered already from the pages linked in my last post.
Nevertheless I gave it a shot on a 2.6.17 I had easily available and ended up
with a message saying that the firmware is incompatible.

> > There is a more recent version of the Agere driver available, which has
> > been patched for 2.6 kernels. See
> > <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=304217>
>
> It's really a low hanging fruit.  The big thing that was missing was
> firmware download for Agere, but Dave implemented that.  The remaining
> work is mostly integration of the pieces together, adding the ID,
> allowing initialization without firmware loaded, loading the right
> firmware for the card.

Ah, I never found that one. Also because the match that this indeed
is a HermesII card could never be made for sure by myself
and because that page is only about Hermes I.

Am Donnerstag, 19. Juni 2008 08:55:30 Holger Schurig wrote:
> You mean I can convert the sta_h2.h file from the above link to
> some binary file and let orinoco+Dave's patches load that
> firmware to the card?
>
> I'm asking this because I also have a bunch of Hermes I and
> Hermes II cards, which don't work with the Orinoco driver, but
> with the "brought somewhat up to kernel 2.6" wlags_h2_718.tgz
> driver from the above link. That driver works, but hurts the
> eyes, and now has some problems with 2.6.25, e.g. at unloading
> time.

So this is the first indication that the wlags_h2_718 might work
for the Hermes II card. Where can I download it without registration?
Why wasn't the 7.22 version used as base for the patch?

Best,
Bernhard
[cc my on relevent replies]