Search Linux Wireless

802.11 pccard, Agere 0x0156,0x0003?

[Greg gave me the hint to ask here. Please CC me on relevant replies. No need
to further include him, unless this should go up on the "DriverNeeded" page
later I presume.]

Sitting here a  pc card wireless land adapter.
id 0x0156, 0x0003, which probably makes it an Agere card.
cardctl info says:
"Wireless PC Card Model 0110"

We bought it quite a while ago under the tradename Lancom Airlancer MC-11
from Lancom Systems.
http://www.lancom-systems.de/AirLancer-MC-11b.117.0.html

Background: We bought it because we thought it has a supported chipset based
on the old orinocco driver. The vendor announces "linux" supported, but this
turned out to be only a driver for Linux 2.4.x.
Some old stuff (with picture) can be found at:
ftp://ftp.lancom.de/AirLancer/AirLancer-11/AirLancer-MC-11
this seems to be Free Software under GNU GPLv2 even.

We could not get it to work with 2.6 and searching the web gave us only
reports that it does not work with kernel 2.6.x.
See http://questier.com/howto.html#Proxim
(the "local copy" links might haver newer source code)

I've grepped the kernel sources (2.6.24) to try to find the id in a driver
or the source code comment "Agere" to see if source code was taken in from
the 2.4. driver. To no prevail.
Even pages like
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.802.11b.html
do not help me.

So I cannot really say: is there a driver which should work with this card in
Linux 2.6.x and just missed the manufacturer id to recognise it?
Where did the old Free Software code go? Was it never ported to 2.6?

Thanks,
Bernhard
[Please CC me on relevant replies.]