Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] qtn: add FullMAC firmware for Quantenna QSR10G wifi device

Am 28.11.2016 um 17:34 schrieb Kyle McMartin:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 9:44 AM, IgorMitsyanko
> <igor.mitsyanko.os@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Ben, Kyle,
>> could you please share what is the position of linux-firmware regarding
>> firmware binaries that include GPL components? Does it require entire GPL
>> components codebase be present in linux-firmware tree, or maybe having this
>> clause in license file is enough:
>> +Open Source Software. The Software may include components that are licensed
>> +pursuant to open source software (“Open Source Components”). Information
>> +regarding the Open Source Components included with the Software is
>> available
>> +upon request to oslegal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx. To the extent such Open Source
>> +Components are required to be licensed to you under the terms of a separate
>> +license (such as an open source license) then such other terms shall apply,
>> and
>> +nothing herein shall be deemed or interpreted to limit any rights you may
>> have
>> +under any such applicable license.
>>
>> From technical perspective, size of the codebase used to build Quantenna
>> firmware is a few hundred MBs, it seems too much to include into
>> linux-firmware tree.
>>

> I don't have strong feelings one way or another. I'd prefer not having
> several hundred
> MB of source that's unlikely to change included in the linux-firmware
> git tree. I'm also not
> a lawyer, so I can't help you decide what would satisfy the
> distribution clause of the GPLv2.
> We already have one GPL firmware (carl9170fw) which includes the
> source, but just references
> a seperate toolchain for downloading, so it's only approximately 1MB
> in size in the tree.
>
> Is your firmware source really that large, or is it just including the
> entire build toolchain with it?
>
> regards,
> --Kyle

We also have open BSD licensed open-ath9k-htc-firmware. Which is locate
out of source too.
https://github.com/qca/open-ath9k-htc-firmware
and here is location of carl firmware:
https://github.com/chunkeey/carl9170fw

So, what is actual problem with Quantenna QSR10G FW?
I would be really interesting to take a look on it. Is it somewhere
available? Are there some devices to get hand on?

--
Regards,
Oleksij