Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] qtn: add FullMAC firmware for Quantenna QSR10G wifi device

On 11/10/2016 12:05 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
I understand, and I understand that you/they are actually providing it
when asked.

However, the carl9170 project has its (entirely GPL) source tree out in
the open, making it much *easier* and that was *still* thought to not
be sufficient; I don't recall the discussions but I'm guessing that's
because of something like redistributors having to make sure source is
available, and guaranteeing that for a long time, etc.

johannes

Johannes, from that perspective, who are the "redistributors"? Specifically, is linux-firmware git repository considered a redistributor or its just hosting files? I mean, at what moment someone else other then Quantenna will start to be legally obliged to make GPL code
used in firmware available for others?

Personally I still hope that linux-firmware itself is not legally concerned with what is the content of firmware its hosting, but looks like there already was a precedent case with carl9170 driver and
we have to somehow deal with it.
There still may be a difference though: Quantenna is semiconductor company only, software used on actual products based on Quantenna chipsets is released by other companies. I just want to present our legal team with a clear case (and position of Linux maintainers) so that they can
work with it and make decision on how to proceed.

From technical perspective, as I mentioned, SDK is quite huge and include a lot of opensource components including full Linux, I don't think its reasonable to have it inside linux-firmware tree.
What are the options to share it other then providing it on request basis:
- git repository
- store tarball somewhere on official website

Thanks!