Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] qtn: add FullMAC firmware for Quantenna QSR10G wifi device

Hi Ben, Kyle,
could you please share what is the position of linux-firmware regarding firmware binaries that include GPL components? Does it require entire GPL components codebase be present in linux-firmware tree, or maybe having this clause in license file is enough:
+Open Source Software. The Software may include components that are licensed
+pursuant to open source software (“Open Source Components”). Information
+regarding the Open Source Components included with the Software is available
+upon request to oslegal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx. To the extent such Open Source
+Components are required to be licensed to you under the terms of a separate
+license (such as an open source license) then such other terms shall apply, and +nothing herein shall be deemed or interpreted to limit any rights you may have
+under any such applicable license.

From technical perspective, size of the codebase used to build Quantenna firmware is a few hundred MBs, it seems too much to include into linux-firmware tree.