Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] qtn: add FullMAC firmware for Quantenna QSR10G wifi device

On 11/24/2016 02:59 PM, Kalle Valo wrote:
IgorMitsyanko <igor.mitsyanko.os@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On 11/23/2016 06:25 PM, Kalle Valo wrote:
IgorMitsyanko <igor.mitsyanko.os@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

To clarify with you and Kalle, as persons involved with
linux-wireless: is my understanding correct that submitting firmware
into linux-fimware repository is a prerequisite to accepting new
driver into linux-wireless?
In my opinion the most important is that the device is usable with an
upstream driver so that anyone can start using the driver (if they have
the hardware).

There is an option to start Quantenna device from internal flash
memory, no external binary files involved. If we will introduce this
functionality and remove code handling external firmware for now
(until firmware problem resolved), would that allow driver to be
reviewed/accepted?
Do all the publically available hardware contain the firmware in
internal flash (flashed in the factory)? Or is this something which must
be installed separately for each board's internal flash by the user?
Each board must have flash installed on it, preflashed in the factory
with uboot and firmware binary, otherwise board won't boot
Will the preflashed firmware binary will have all the normal
functionality needed by this driver? I mean that you can start an AP
interface etc.

Yes, we tried to design system in a way that the same firmware will support working as a FullMAC device with cfg80211 framework, as well as working in a default mode of emulating ethernet card (when all wireless rated components are hidden inside device itself); it's just a problem of telling device which mode it should boot to.

(won't boot without uboot, firmware itself is not mandatory).
Are you expecting that there are devices on the field which have uboot
preflashed but not the firmware?

For the new QSR10G chipset, there are no such devices right now. I think it is possible for them to appear in the future: makes sense to have designs with smaller flash sizes, to save a few cents on each device, but hopefully by that time we will have firmware binary accepted in linux-firmare.

Booting from flash is default behavior on boards that are currently on
the market, but for developemnt purpuses it's not very convenient and
harder to upgrade.
Sure, I understand.

BTW, the original mail with the firmware image didn't make it to the
list, I guess it was too big? It would be good if you could post the
license separately so that people can see it.

I resent the email without binary patch to linux-wireless.
Saw it now, thanks.