Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] qtn: add FullMAC firmware for Quantenna QSR10G wifi device

IgorMitsyanko <igor.mitsyanko.os@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 11/23/2016 06:25 PM, Kalle Valo wrote:
>> IgorMitsyanko <igor.mitsyanko.os@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> To clarify with you and Kalle, as persons involved with
>>> linux-wireless: is my understanding correct that submitting firmware
>>> into linux-fimware repository is a prerequisite to accepting new
>>> driver into linux-wireless?
>> In my opinion the most important is that the device is usable with an
>> upstream driver so that anyone can start using the driver (if they have
>> the hardware).
>>
>>> There is an option to start Quantenna device from internal flash
>>> memory, no external binary files involved. If we will introduce this
>>> functionality and remove code handling external firmware for now
>>> (until firmware problem resolved), would that allow driver to be
>>> reviewed/accepted?
>> Do all the publically available hardware contain the firmware in
>> internal flash (flashed in the factory)? Or is this something which must
>> be installed separately for each board's internal flash by the user?
>
> Each board must have flash installed on it, preflashed in the factory
> with uboot and firmware binary, otherwise board won't boot

Will the preflashed firmware binary will have all the normal
functionality needed by this driver? I mean that you can start an AP
interface etc.

> (won't boot without uboot, firmware itself is not mandatory).

Are you expecting that there are devices on the field which have uboot
preflashed but not the firmware?

> Booting from flash is default behavior on boards that are currently on
> the market, but for developemnt purpuses it's not very convenient and
> harder to upgrade.

Sure, I understand.

>> BTW, the original mail with the firmware image didn't make it to the
>> list, I guess it was too big? It would be good if you could post the
>> license separately so that people can see it.
>>

> I resent the email without binary patch to linux-wireless.

Saw it now, thanks.

--
Kalle Valo