Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 2/2] cfg80211: move channel switch logic to cfg80211

On 4 February 2014 11:07, Luca Coelho <luca@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 14:41 +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
>> On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 10:58 +0100, Michal Kazior wrote:
>> > This introduces the following benefits:
>> >  * cfg80211 is now aware of channel switching
>> >    (although more work still needs to be done wrt
>> >     interface combinations & multi-interface CSA)
>> >  * fixes some channel switching failcases by
>> >    disconnecting offending interfaces
>> >  * STA CSA no longer modifies BSS channel from
>> >    within mac80211
>>
>> That's nice.
>>
>> > This aims to make the following possible later:
>> >  * defer channel switching decision to userspace
>> >    (if desired so),
>>
>> That's probably not needed, it can disconnect after the CSA event (that
>> should be sent when the CSA is first received)
>
> I agree that this shouldn't be needed for client (ie. P2P client or
> managed) interfaces.
>

>> >  * inform userspace what interfaces will be
>> >    possibly disconnected by a channel switch,
>>
>> Huh? Not sure I get that part, why would userspace ever be notified
>> about something that *will* happen? Either the interface disconnects
>> when the CSA is received, or it just switches and userspace gets a "CSA
>> will happen" event?

True. Userspace can probably deduce from interface combinations some
interfaces require attention due to channel switching.

> How do we get the "target" beacon from userspace if the interface just
> switches?

Do you really need the beacon? What for?

> Now a bit of brain burp: I think that the "count" decision should remain
> in the userspace so it can decide to give more time for its stations to
> switch.  Eg. if the client interface got a CSA with count == x and a
> host interface has dtim_interval > x, the userspace can send a "quiet"
> CSA with count == dtim_interval + 1.  The two requests would be "merged"
> and the highest count would win.  The client would be a bit late on the
> new channel, but at least the AP wouldn't lose most of its clients.
> Does this make any sense? I'm not sure myself. :)

Makes sense.

>> >  * disconnect non-complying interfaces that were
>> >    sharing a channel that is being abandoned by
>> >    channel switching interface(s),
>>
>> Hmm, that sounds a bit the wrong way around? Shouldn't the CSA not be
>> possible (userspace CSA) or cause the switching interface to disconnect,
>> rather than *others*??
>
> It depends.  And this logic is too complicated to stay in the kernel,
> IMHO.  If we are in a GO-follows-STA scenario, we want to disconnect the
> GO.  Now, if you have an AP (with tons of STAs connected to it) and a
> P2P client gets a CSA for whatever reason, do we really want to stop the
> AP?

Agreed.

But doesn't this imply STA CSA shouldn't be started within kernel
itself? Otherwise you leave a corner case when STA CSA is very short
making it impossible for userspace to take any action.

>> > - * @channel_switch: initiate channel-switch procedure (with CSA)
>> > + * @ch_switch_start: initiate channel-switch procedure (with CSA). This should
>> > + * prompt the driver to perform preparation work (start some timers,
>> > + * include CS IEs in beacons, etc) but don't do an actual channel switch.
>> > + * Once driver has completed all preparations and is ready for the actual
>> > + * switch (after CSA counter is completed) it must call
>> > + * cfg80211_ch_switch_complete(wdev). After that ch_switch_finalize() MAY
>> > + * be called, but it doesn't necessarily happen immediately as cfg80211
>> > + * may need to synchronize with other interfaces. If channel switch is
>> > + * cancelled for some reason ch_switch_finalize() is not called and driver
>> > + * should free up resources/cleanup state in interface disconnection flow.
>> > + * @ch_switch_finalize: finalize channel-switch procedure, i.e. perform the
>> > + * actual switch.
>>
>> I don't like this at all. This totally assumes that every driver behaves
>> like mac80211, which clearly is not the case. The split between
>> "starting" and "finalizing" it should not be part of the API.
>
> I agree, especially if the driver offloads the channel switch, in which
> case it wouldn't be possible for cfg80211 to hold the finalize call to
> sync all the interfaces.

This implies we don't care if channel switching breaks interface
combinations, right?

Michał