Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 2/2] cfg80211: move channel switch logic to cfg80211

On Tue, 2014-02-04 at 12:57 +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-02-04 at 13:42 +0200, Luca Coelho wrote:
> > > Nothing! As far as that's permissible. Ilan's patchset might change
> > > that, but that's mostly a regulatory thing, rather than a CSA thing.
> >
> > Ah, you have some insider information! :P
>
> Not really, he posted those patches ... :)

Heh, I should read the mailing list more carefully instead of marking
everything as read without reading. ;)

> > Sure, but how does the userspace know that the other interface *needs*
> > to be moved, regardless of regulatory problems? It needs to know that
> > there are not enough contexts to keep the interfaces in different
> > channels...
>
> It has all that information, it can know the channels, channel contexts,
> etc.

Okay, so I assume it also knows how many vifs can be in the same context
and all the possible vif type combinations.  And do the same checks that
cfg80211 already does...

> > > That would be a consequence of Ilan's work, yes.
> >
> > Okay, if that's going to be guaranteed, I'm fine with it.
>
> Not yet, but Ilan probably needs to take care of that.
>
> > > This typically won't happen, since userspace will do something else, but
> > > we need to have some default policy. I don't think anything else makes
> > > much sense?
> >
> > My point was that a CSA could have been triggered due to regulatory
> > (which the AP/GO is monitoring), so the safest would be to move everyone
> > out of the channel by default.
>
> But the kernel can't do that, it needs userspace to do it.

Right, but by "moving out of the channel by default" I meant
disconnecting those who don't so we are sure there's no one left.

>  And if the
> CSA was triggered due to regulatory, then the GO that follow the client
> can only be on this channel with Ilan's work, otherwise it's allowed to
> be standalone there.

Okay, I'll check Ilan's patches.

--
Luca.