Search Linux Wireless

Re: RTL8723ae PCI Driver update

On 01/02/2014 02:44 PM, Chris Taylor wrote:
Larry,

Thank you for your reply and filling me on the correct netiquette re: driver
mailing lists.

The PCI ID I have is 10ec:8723, but the built-in version seems to suffer from
the slow data rates, poor signal reception and regular dropouts that many users
seems to be experiencing with this chipset (at least going by e.g. the Ubuntu
forums). I wanted to try compiling my own module from the Realtek source but I
think I need a patch to get that to work in kernel 3.11? But I also wondered if
it were worth trying a later kernel to see if any of the regular updates have
improved things?

As I cannot duplicate the results that Ubuntu users seem to have, I don't know if there are changes that will help.

It seems to me that there is something in the Ubuntu user code that is having problems. I run openSUSE KDE with NetworkManages, and I never have any of those difficulties.

Although no changes in rtl8723ae come to mind, there are many changes in the mca80211 stack. It is always worthwhile to try a newer kernel, or the backports source if you do not want to build a whole new kernel.

Larry