Search Linux Wireless

RE: kernel 2.6.25-rc1 and no /dev/rt73usb

>> The driver I was using before had the interface name of rt73. When I see
>> usbcore: registered new interface driver rt73usb
>
> Seriously, I wonder with what driver you managed to pull that off.
> As far as I know there is no rt73 driver that registers an interface called rt73.
> Neither the Ralink drivers, the rt73 legacy driver or the rt73usb driver ever
> did such a thing.
>
> Granted the name did change. The Ralink driver and early legacy drivers
> did create the interface with the name "rausb", this is still not the same
> as "rt73".
>
> Additionally:
>> usbcore: registered new interface driver rt73usb
>
> Using a different rt73 driver would also produce this line (replacing rt73usb
> with rt73 or whatever the name of the driver was).
> But like I said earlier, I know of no rt73 driver that registered a network
> interface named rt73. It is either "wlan" or "rausb". Unless off course you
> edited the /etc/modprobe.conf file to load the driver with the rt73 interface name,
> but that can be considered "user configuration".

Ok.  Upon further investigation the name was rausb0.  The rt73 was setup in /etc/modprobe.conf.  So is the name going to be wlan0 from now on?

The short version:
I am stuck on a project where the last guy setup everything, didn't document anything, and left.  I am now trying to figure all of this stuff out.  I am stuck using Slackware.  A hybrid of 9 and 10.  I am a Fedora user so very little is where I except it to be.  I am trying to figure everything out and move to centos with a 2.6.24.x kernel (needed for the new hardware this monstrosity of an application is moving to).

Thanks,