Search Linux Wireless

Re: RTL8192CU continually reconnecting

On 10/09/13 00:04, Larry Finger wrote:

I also tried another experiment which was to change your patch so that
instead
of logging just the first 100 beacons to dmesg, log every 10th beacon
(count %
10) to dmesg instead. This showed that even when the timeouts are
occurring
against the AP, I'm still seeing a continual stream of beacons from other
stations on the network.

Looking at only every 10th one could be systematically missing the ones
from your AP.

Oh sure - what I was looking to prove was whether it was all beacons that weren't getting through, or just the ones from the AP when the timeout occurred.

This makes me wonder if Oleksij is correct in that the problem is that
not all
the frames coming from the USB interface are being picked up by the
driver.
Perhaps not all incoming USB RX buffers are being scanned (causing
some queued
frames to be lost) or maybe USB transfers can contain more than 1
frame and
rtlwifi is only catching the first frame within each notified transfer?

None of those suppositions make any sense.

Well I freely admit that I don't have much knowledge of the kernel USB layers (only from some old embedded systems years ago), so it was really just a case of thinking out loud...

To double check whether it was a general ehci-pci problem, I tried
plugging in a
spare zd1211rw dongle and that worked absolutely fine. So I think
that's a
reasonable indication that general USB function is okay.

I do not suspect any USB problem unless it is in rtl8192cu.

Okay.

Could you please run the attached patch? It will only print messages for
your AP, and print enough to still be getting them when the AP timeout
occurs.

Done.

dmesg output:
http://www.ilande.co.uk/tmp/rtl8192cu_patch-3-dmesg.txt

wpa_supplicant output:
http://www.ilande.co.uk/tmp/rtl8192cu_patch-3-wpa_supplicant.txt

Now the interesting part was as you can see from the logs, I managed to get a reasonably long association to the AP towards the end so I tried running dhclient against the wlan1 interface - this was slow, taking about 60s to complete, but it did eventually return with an IP address. With that in place, I tried pinging 8.8.8.8 and ended up with a very poor connection, with the ping exit banner reporting 87% packet loss :(

ATB,

Mark.