Search Linux Wireless

Re: wl127x: Unable to associate with a WPA2-PSK AP

On Thu, 2013-07-11 at 13:08 +0100, José Miguel Gonçalves wrote:
> Hi Luca,
>
> On 10-07-2013 21:27, Luciano Coelho wrote:
> > I have a text console only system. I could put tcpdump on my system, but I think I
> > can not monitor wireless traffic with it, or can I?
> > tcpdump will probably not be enough.  But since this stuff is *wireless*
> > you can sniff from a different PC.  If you have Linux PC, just plug in
> > your TP-Link dongle in it, launch wireshark and you should be able to
> > sniff (unencrypted) connections between other devices easily.
> >

> I've setup my Linuc PC as a sniffer and yes I see a lot of of authentication
> frames on the air when I try to associate with my open AP (Android phone).
>
> I've repeated the process with a TP-Link dongle and I see a clean 802.11
> association sequence.
>
> What I found strange is that I don't see "probe request" frames on the wl12xx
> captured frames, it starts directly with an "authentication" frame, when with the
> TP-Link dongle (ath9k_htc driver) the first frame sent by is a "probe request"!

Usually the connection will start with a probe request, but if there is
a response in the cache, we may skip it.  In any case, this is probably
happening because your sniffer is missing those frames (which again
points to problems with RF).

> I can provide the Wirehsark capture files. What is the best way to send them
> through the mailing list?

Cut only the portion that matters, so the file is small and gzip it.
Small files can be sent as attachments to the list.

--
Luca.