Search Linux Wireless

Re: Linux 2.6.24-rc7

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> But complaining about a vendor who does a good job technically, for
> non-technical reasons, I really don't see that as being fine.

Side note: I also think the wireless parts here are doing things wrong.

Why _would_ you care about alignment? We used to have issues like that in
the normal networking code, and it was a mistake there too. Why isn't the
wireless stack just extracting the header explicitly, or using
"get_unaligned()" like regular networking?

With ethernet, there were chips that could only do DMA at certain
alignments etc, together with various other headers being involved, making
it impossible to require alignment without memcpy(), and I don't think
we've had any issues there.

People have to add in the proper "get_unaligned()" calls that they forgot
or didn't think about to various pieces every once in a while, but on most
platforms you get a nice warning when something isn't doing the right
thing (I think some borken ARM cores are the exception and will just
silently do the wrong thing entirely).

So it's not like this is a new issue, and I can't recall us ever before
having ended up requiring alignment when it hit us.

			Linus
-