Search Linux Wireless

Re: Linux 2.6.24-rc7

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, Dan Williams wrote:

> Does Intel need to make iwlwifi and ipw2x00 work reliably on platforms
> other than x86?  Or don't they?

Why should they?

If somebody else takes over maintenance, because Intel does a bad job,
that's fine.

If somebody else sends in patches and they get accepted "around" Intel,
that's obviously also fine.

But complaining about a vendor who does a good job technically, for
non-technical reasons, I really don't see that as being fine.

Is it even physically *possible* to use that Intel wireless chipset with
anything but x86 CPU's (not just that, but actually _Intel_ x86 CPU's)?
And would it make any sense what-so-ever even if it was?

And yes, portability is a great thing, but quite frankly, so is good
hardware. I personally can't really blame Intel engineers for not caring
about irrelevant hardware.

We should make technical decisions on _technical_ grounds, not some
perceived "this is how the world should work" grounds.

		Linus
-