Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] Expand byte counters in struct station_info

On 01/31/2013 02:42 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Thu, 2013-01-31 at 11:46 +0200, Vladimir Kondratiev wrote:
Hi,

Now wifi drivers reports per-station info using struct station_info;
and currently for the data counters it has:
	u32 rx_bytes;
	u32 tx_bytes;

while for device-wide statistics one can use ndo_get_stats64() to fill
64-bit counters in the struct rtnl_link_stats64, per-station statistics
are 32-bit.

This becomes problematic with gigabit speeds now observed for .11ac and .11ad -
counters overflown every few seconds.

I'd like to extend rx and tx byte counters to 64-bit.

What is better - expand existing fields in struct station_info as:
	u64 rx_bytes;
	u64 tx_bytes;

This.

or add ne ones like:
	u64 rx_bytes64;
	u64 tx_bytes64;

I don't see a reason to do this.

Then, I'll add
	NL80211_STA_INFO_RX_BYTES64,
	NL80211_STA_INFO_TX_BYTES64,
to the enum nl80211_sta_info

Before doing patch, I'd like to hear comments.
Any consideration why is this not to be done or done differently?

Sounds good to me.

Two points:

1) You should provide the RX_TX_BYTES attributes, but I think only if
the value fits into 32 bits. That way, we don't report invalid
information.

There are already a large amounts of '64-bit' counters reported by
netlink that really wrap at 32-bits, so any solid user-space
code already has to deal with this by making assumptions (ie, if cur
value is < last value, then it wrapped at 32-bits, because there is no way you
actually missed polling a real 64-bit counter wrap).

So, you might not have to worry about this so much.

In my own work, my biggest problem is that stations reset their
counters when they got ifdown and then back to ifup.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>