Search Linux Wireless

Re: mac80211 regression: doesn't associate automatically

> Orinoco relies on roaming in the firmware

And wlags_h1_cs/wlags_h2_cs as well.

libertas_cs has half-baked roaming in firmware and in
kernel-space, doesn't work very well so far.

Madwifi has code coarse code roaming in the BSD borrowed
ieee80211 code. It roams only when it lost the association to
the current AP. But before doing that, it went with it's rate
down to 1 MBit/s, even when there's a better AP nearby that it
could use with 11 MBit/s or higher.

There is code in it which is disabled via "if (0 || ...)" that
allows for a much smoother roaming, e.g. to scan when the RSSI
drops below a certain level. Once enabled and after tuning of
some timeout variables, that roaming code works extremely well.
Both in a WEP-mode without wpa_supplicant and in WPA/WPA2 mode
with wpa_supplicant.

> wpa_supplicant gives you roaming in the userspace.

Yeah, I thought in this lines as well. I have no problem putting
wpa_supplicant on my embedded targets. In fact, it's already
there, it's currently just used for WPA, not for WEP. However,
if suddenly NetworkManager would be needed for roaming, then
from an embedded-usage point of view I wouldn't like that.

I just don't know how good it's roaming code is, e.g. can it
start to scan for something better if the RSSI drops below some
threshold?  Does it have a good picture of the ever changing
situation of AP's signal strength?  This I need to find out :-)
-