Search Linux Wireless

Re: mac80211 regression: doesn't associate automatically

> Also, are you sure you understand completely what is going on?

That Debian was not able to set the script might really be a
different problem.

> As far as I can see, the Debian wireless-tools ifup script
> (package version 29-1) *is* setting the key before it sets the
> essid. In fact, setting the ssid and key both happen in a
> pre-up script, which is run before the interface is even
> brought up.

Yes, Debian /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wireless-tools first sets
all stuff up, then calls iwconfig essid, and only then brings
the interface up.

So you're right, the "doesn't associate" problem is not Debian's
fault (I actually never suspected Debian to be faulty, it worked
flawless all the time and I haven't changed anything there).

Now I disabled Debians startup scripts and did the thing
manually. And voila, it doesn't work when done manually.

As it stands, I now have two sequences that doesn't associate
with mac80211/b43:

Debian's sequence:

$ pccardctl insert
$ iwconfig eth1 key:11111
$ iwconfig eth1 essid MUMBLEFUTZ
$ ifconfig eth1 up

My older sequence:

$ pccardctl insert
$ ifconfig eth1 up
$ iwconfig eth1 essid MUMBLEFUTZ
$ iwconfig eth1 key:11111

Litte side note: with the first sequence, after about a minute
the driver scans and associates anyway:

10:27:50.846680   eth1     Set Encryption key:****-****-**
10:27:55.440949   eth1     Set ESSID:"MUMBLEFUTZ"
10:29:06.047881   eth1     Scan request completed
10:29:06.064521   eth1     Custom driver
event:ASSOCINFO(ReqIEs=...)
10:29:06.064550   eth1     New Access Point/Cell
address:00:13:19:80:DA:30

While I find the timeout of a minute way too high (especially for
a moving environment, e.g. storage warehouse), it's better than
nothing.

The second sequence doesn't associate at all, not even after five
minutes.

Again, both (!) sequences work with several non-mac80211-drivers
that I used in production during the last 5 years. And I'm still
inclined to call this a regression: things that used to work
stopped working.
-