Search Linux Wireless

Re: mac80211 regression: doesn't associate automatically

> I think setting the key should not cause reassociation if
> there is an association.

That seems sensible.

I actually think that while it's not associated, it should
periodically try to associcate with what's currently defined
(e.g. ESSID, fixed AP mac, key settings etc).

Currently, if I do the following with mac80211/b43:

$ # turn AP off or move into an area where you can't
  receive the AP
$ pccardctl insert
$ ifconfig eth1 up
$ iwconfig eth1 key s:11111
$ iwconfig eth1 essid MUMBLFUTZ
$ # turn AP on or move with the laptop/device into the
  vincinity of an AP

... then I won't get an association at all.

Other drivers that I used in production during the last 5 years
didn't show that behavior (orinoco_cs, wlags_h1_cs, wlags_h2_cs,
madwifi). They associated on their own.

However, as mac80211 is currently implemented, it assumes
a "stationary" WLAN setup and doesn't cope well with scenarios
where devices move. If it would cope better with such
situations, then it would also cope with the first problem I
reported. Because if it would periodically re-scan and try to
associate, a later submitted or changed WEP key would be taken
into account and association would have succeeded.
-