Search Linux Wireless

Re: Recent linux-wireless git changes have broken my prism54pci card

Chr wrote:
On Monday, 13. August 2007, Michael Wu wrote:
On Monday 13 August 2007 04:58, Hans de Goede wrote:
Okay, I still had copies of various git revisions of prism54common.c and .h
(aka the culprits) on my laptop. I've run some tests again to make sure I
had the right revisions in mind for the breakage (which I had). I've
attached 2 patches:
diff: with this reversed my speed increases 10x and more importantly when
fully loading the link (using scp from a local non wireless ethernet
machine) it no longer looses the connection in a couple of seconds

Hm, I guess either these changes were wrong or exposed some bugs. Can you check what sort of tx rates are being reported in iwconfig before and after that change?

diff2, when I do not reverse this one, it still associates, but it no
longer receives / or transmits packages. (no dhcp, no ping when manually
assigning IP's, etc).

Not sure.. this patch generally helped things on my hardware. Christian Lamparter might have an idea.

Well not really, It is "fast" as usual here: scp user@p54pci-pc:/usr/src/dummyzero ./
dummyzero                                                                                                               100%  236MB   1.8MB/s   02:09

iperf:
[  5] local 192.168.1.247 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.1 port 56253
[  5]  0.0-240.7 sec    597 MBytes  20.8 Mbits/sec

=> need more data...
1. Which p54 firmware do you use? (It "must" be 2.7.0.0 for pci/cardbus)
2.4.12.0, extracted from the window driver for my card, any later version will cause the driver to fail to load with: "Error cannot read eeprom!"

2. What's your "average" txrate and Link Signal Level / Link Quality with and without the patches.
   (see iwconfig)
See attached logs

3. what brand/type of AP do you have?
A davolink DV-201AMR its an embedded Linux device using the BCM6348 chipset,

-> what does the beacon frame look like? (or: if you don't have a
wlan sniffer / monitor, just run: iwlist wlanX scan )
See logs

4. Can you recompile the mac80211 layer with debug options and look for
something like ethX: STA XX:YY:ZZ:AA:BB:CC Average rate: VVV ... in your syslogs?

See logs

5. are they any suspicious dmesg outputs when the "network" stops/dies?

Nope.

I've attached a tarbal with logs the FC7test logs are the logs from the Fedora 7 test kernel which I normally use, as that works well.

The rest is based on a F-8 test kernel which contains a wireless-dev snapshot from 26 jul 2007. The dates are dates of git checkouts from prism54common.{c,h} the -common one has the speed changes to prism54common.h reversed, because otherwise connectivity is lost as explained.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Hans