Search Linux Wireless

Re: Arrested Development

On 07-07-08 22:46 Andy Green wrote:

> > This isn't going to work properly when you add a sta interface and then
> > a monitor interface, which afaict the driver doesn't prevent in
> > zd_mac_open. Basically, it has the phy always follow the last-added
> > virtual interface which doesn't seem right. Also, I might be missing
> > something, but it shouldn't allow multiple sta interfaces, afaict it
> > does now.
>
> This is a bit of a general issue that has been discussed a couple of
> times, not really to a resolution: how to deal with conflicting demands
> of multiple interfaces on the same rx hardware.  I guess it wants it to
> be that if any interface is in Monitor then the hardware promisc is
> enabled.  IFF_PROMISC was discussed to be another way to select genuine
> promisc rx as well.

> FWIW my script looks like this:
>
>  modprobe -r zd1211rw-mac80211
>  modprobe -r rc80211_simple
>  modprobe -r mac80211
>  modprobe zd1211rw-mac80211
>  sleep 2s
>  ifconfig wlan0 up
>  echo -n mon0 >/sys/class/ieee80211/phy0/add_iface
>  iwconfig mon0 mode monitor
>  iwconfig mon0 channel 6
>  ifconfig mon0 up

I forgot to mention that the monitor support doesn't work with
additonal interfaces right now. Additional interfaces are broken
currently for zd1211rw. I cannot fix all the problems with
mac80211 interface of the driver at the same time.

Try

iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 channel 6

for now.

The problem with the STA + MNTR interface is, that mac80211 must
do the FCS checking for the STA interface or the driver has to
filter them before forwarding them to the upper layer.

--
Uli Kunitz
-