Beceem Drivers / Licensing

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:49:14 -0500
"d.w. harks" <dave at dwink.net> wrote:

> With rapier wit and elegant prose, Inaky Perez-Gonzalez wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 06:30 +0900, Stephen Hemminger wrote:

> > > The existing code uses a single character device. Read/write are
> > > control packets, and it has a long list of ioctl's to do things like
> > > check link status etc.  They also have a binary format configuration
> > > file that is read in like firmware at the startup.  Much of the configuration
> > > can probably be eliminated and the rest can either be done as module
> > > parameters or config fs.
> >
> > Ugly, very
> >
> > So this is probably an HCI for driving the scanning and connection
> > process. It'd be interesting to find at which level the device operates,
> > if at the NSP level (like the current Intel devices) -- aka, deals
> > directly with base stations and then system software has to map that to
> > NAPs (access providers) or if it deals directly with the concept of
> > NAPs.
> >
> > Eventually we need to add a NAP interface to the WiMAX kernel stack so
> > that low level system software only has to scan for NAPs and connect to
> > them and deal with authentication parameters, so if we can find out how
> > beceem does it, it'll drive feedback in the design so it works for all.
>
> From what I can tell it's running at the NAP level. When you initiate a
> network search, you get back a list of base stations by BSID &
> frequency, and the reference Connection Manager configuration Sprint
> provides literally gives a list of frequencies to search.
>
> There is a userspace shared library which implements the interactions with the
> character device Stephen mentions, providing the WiMAX Common API.
>
> CLEAR has an 'open source connection manager' which is built in Java and
> uses JNA to wrap (theoretically) any library which implements the Common
> API. This has a database of (what I understand to be) NSPs (CLEAR and
> XOHM are represented). ( http://developer.clear.com/projects/list_files/open-src-conn-mgr/ )

The kernel-user interaction is also very busy/noisy, so it probably
consumes lots of power.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Linux Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Device Mapper]