Beceem Drivers / Licensing

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 11:22:59 -0500
"d.w. harks" <dave at dwink.net> wrote:

> I grabbed the Sprint developer pack (referred to in this thread:
> http://lists.linuxwimax.org/pipermail/wimax/2010-September/000970.html ) and
> built / attempted to get somewhere with the driver.
>
> I have a Ubee PXU1900 -- so it took a little massaging -- but I did get the
> driver to light up the USB stick and do a network search.
>
> I'd like to help this effort however I can -- I know the license is in
> question, but I did notice that there is a MODULE_LICENSE call embedding
> "GPL" as the license in the driver:
>
> Linux/usb/Common/Bcmnet.c:MODULE_LICENSE ("GPL");
>
> Also, the Motorola open-source release includes a portion of this driver
> explicitly listed as GPL:
>
> https://opensource.motorola.com/sf/sfmain/do/go/rel1474?returnUrlKey=1285517438090
>
> There is a LICENSE file in the "Beceem Driver" directory containing the
> boilerplate GPLv2 text.
>
> Does anyone have a contact at Sprint/Clear/Beceem that might be able to
> clarify licensing?
>
> And is there a particular avenue that would be most helpful for me to
> contribute? I'm a professional developer but am only just learning WiMAX.

I have received assurance that the kernel driver and connection manager
are both GPL. The firmware is not.

The driver is a mess, I have a long list of changes that need to be done,
the biggest is that the user space and API model are a mess. It really needs
to be completely rewritten.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Linux Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Device Mapper]