Re: Looking for guidance on using virtqueues and virtio devices

On 6/11/2024 3:41 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
We are adding support for a new adapter to the hfi1 driver. This new
adapter supports SR-IOV and we need a way to communicate between VFs
and PFO. There are some resources that need to be requested from the
VFs and some notifications needed from PF0 to the VFs. I am looking at
using virtqueues to allow a VF running in a VM to communicate with PF0
on the host, but am not sure how virtio devices/drivers should be used
for this. Is there a general-purpose message-passing virtio device
that can be used for this? Or do we have to create a new device
specifically for our driver to use? Or is there some other
communication mechanism that is better suited for this?

Thanks,
Doug

It looks like rpmsg (over virtio) may be what we're looking for. Is this
the kind of thing rpmsg is suited for? Communication between drivers
running in different "realms"?

External recipient