Looking for guidance on using virtqueues and virtio devices

We are adding support for a new adapter to the hfi1 driver. This new
adapter supports SR-IOV and we need a way to communicate between VFs and
PFO. There are some resources that need to be requested from the VFs and
some notifications needed from PF0 to the VFs. I am looking at using
virtqueues to allow a VF running in a VM to communicate with PF0 on the
host, but am not sure how virtio devices/drivers should be used for
this. Is there a general-purpose message-passing virtio device that can
be used for this? Or do we have to create a new device specifically for
our driver to use? Or is there some other communication mechanism that
is better suited for this?

Thanks,
Doug

External recipient