Re: help? looking for limits on in-flight write operations for virtio-blk

On 08/26/2014 08:58 AM, Chris Friesen wrote:

What I'd like to see (and may take a stab at implementing) is a cap on
either inflight bytes or inflight IOPS.  One complication is that this
requires hooking into the completion path to update the stats (and
possibly unblock the I/O code) when an operation is done.

Well, it looks like I won't be taking a stab at this after all.

It seems that modifying qemu to call mallopt() to set the trim/mmap thresholds to 128K is enough to minimize the increase in RSS and also drop it back down after an I/O burst. For now this looks like it should be sufficient for our purposes.

I'm actually a bit surprised I didn't have to go lower, but it seems to work for both "dd" and dbench testcases so we'll give it a try.

Chris